Sunday, February 6, 2011

banana muffins

As I've gotten older, I've found myself falling more in love with baking. There is this awesome sense of accomplishment when I've baked or cooked something new and it has turned out perfect. It makes up for all of the flops, mistakes and downright disasters (which don't happen too often, thankfully).

Today, I baked my traditional banana muffins but instead of using caster sugar, I tried out Equal Baking. I was worried it wouldn't taste quite right, or the texture would be off, but they turned out perfectly.

They don't look the same as they do when I use sugar, but they taste fantastic and smell delicious. They have no odd aftertaste either. Because I want to spread the love, this is the recipe:

Ingredients
- 3 ripe bananas
- 3/4 cup Equal Baking
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1/3 cup melted butter (approx 85 grams)

Method
Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius and line muffin tin with cups. Mash bananas until almost completely smooth, then add Equal Baking and slightly beaten egg. Stir until combined. Combine the melted butter. Add the rest of the dry ingredients and stir until fully combined. Batter should be thick and almost sticky. Using a tablespoon, evenly divide the batter between the 12 muffin cups. Bake for 20min, or until springy when touched. Cool on wire rack. (I also like to coat the tops with melted butter and cinnamon sugar for extra flavour.)

The best part about Equal Baking is that it doesn't affect the consistency of things like sugar does, so if you like your treats to taste extra sweet you can add a little more!

No comments:

Post a Comment